Monday, May 7, 2007

Elsje's answers

Sorry for the delay...

* What do you use your fiber for? Felting, needle felting, knitting
or crocheting, weaving?
I am primarily a knitter but I dabble a bit in needle felting. Some time in the past I was an extremely proficient crocheter but I rarely get the hooks out anymore.

* What kind of spinning do you do or what do you spin for?I naturally tend to spin fairly fine, often with socks or gloves as the end result. I’m trying to work myself up to spin a little thicker as my husband is requesting a sweater and I’d rather work in a heavy worsted weight if I can pull it off.


* If you knit, weave, spin, crochet, needle felt, or do other fibery
pursuits, how long have you been doing those things? What level of
expertise are you at?
I learned to crochet when I was 6 or 7, learned to knit when I was 16 (but took about a decade off until my mid 20’s). I consider myself high intermediate or beginning-advanced at both of these. I’ve only been spinning for about a year but I love it and my skills have come quite a long way since I first began.


* What fibers have you worked with?
I’ve mostly worked with Romney, BFL, Corriedale, and Finn. In a spinning class that I took the teacher brought samples of all kinds of exotic and man-made fibers for us to sample but other than that experience I’ve really stuck with what I know best so far.


* Which fibers, fiber blends, and types of fibers do you prefer?
I am still learning what I prefer and so am open to trying most anything (especially if helpful hints are included with anything that needs unusual handling).


* Are you interested in working with raw fleece? If so, what type?
I haven’t done it yet but I’ve been giving it more thought lately, I'll probably try some out this summer sometime.


* What fibery tools do you currently have (e.g., spinning wheels, etc.)

One spinning wheel (Lendrum, LOVE IT!!)

One drop spindle (never use it anymore…)

Niddy noddy, ball winder, umbrella swift

Just the basics I guess.



* Do you crave any tools, books, or videos?
Not that I know of… Oh wait, a WPI tool would be cool, also I always look at those nifty bead row counter things but I’m not sure how they work and haven’t ever handled one in real life.

* What fibers are you absolutely dying to get your hands on?
I think I don’t know enough yet to know what I would like to try… surprise me!

* Which fibers do you absolutely not want to work with?
I only tried cotton once and got extremely frustrated. I’m staying away from it for now. I don’t especially care for the man-made fibers.


* Do you prefer natural color fibers or pre-dyed fibers?
I like them both. I’ve been playing around with dyeing just recently.

* What are your dye and color preferences?
In the past I would have said that I prefer strog and dark colors, especially blue, green, red and grey/black… lately however I’ve been finding myself more and more drawn towards brighter (but still strong) colors like intense yellow and fiery orange.


* Do you have any relevant allergies?
No allergies

No comments: