Thursday, May 3, 2007

tisjewel (Flawful Fibers & Yarns) Qs

Julie O'Neil aka tisjewel
tisjewel.blogspot.com

* What do you use your fiber for? Felting, needle felting, knitting
or crocheting, weaving?
Lots and lots of things! Knitting, spinning (handspun yarns), crochet, felting (though just starting), fiber arts, mixed media.

* What kind of spinning do you do or what do you spin for? I use both spindles and spinning wheels. Spin for sale and for knitting, and well to feed the addiction! Love all weights of yarns for spinning and knitting, but have to say that singles are my favs.

* If you knit, weave, spin, crochet, needle felt, or do other fibery
pursuits, how long have you been doing those things? What level of expertise are you at?
I crocheted when I was a teen, but only got back into it and learned how to knit last year. Learned also how to spin last year, and have used fibers in my mixed media art work for few years now. I learn new things everyday about these crafts, so it's a continuous process, so wouldn't want to put a specific level of expertise to it.

* What fibers have you worked with? Too many to name, I can tell you what I haven't worked with that I would like to one day :) polwarth, camel down, gotland, cormo, perendale, clun forest, tunis, cashmere

* Which fibers, fiber blends, and types of fibers do you prefer? Of course I love soft fibers, but have worked with and like working with a lot of different types of fibers. I do not like to work with dog or cat fur though.

* Are you interested in working with raw fleece? If so, what type? I actually still have quite a bit in my stash so would prefer not to work with more raw fleeces at this time until I reduce some of it, unless they are very clean to begin with with extremely little VM (would be willing to work with clean llama, camel, angora, alpaca, etc.).

* What fibery tools do you currently have (e.g., spinning wheels,
drop spindles, combs, cards, etc.)?
I have 3 spinning wheels, a few drop spindles, drum carder, ball winder, wpi tool, niddy noddy.

* Do you crave any tools, books, or videos? Would like to get some fine cotton hand carders, the andean plying tool, and a wool-picker one day. Love knitting books. And would also love to learn and get the tools for tunisian crochet.

* What fibers are you absolutely dying to get your hands on? Cashmere, camel down, silk/merino top, falkland top, etc. BUT LOVE MOST FIBERS! I'm an addict...

* Which fibers do you absolutely not want to work with? Dog/cat fur, anything too coarse.

* Do you prefer natural color fibers or pre-dyed fibers? Either!

* What are your dye and color preferences? I love earthy tones (blues, browns, greens), muted colors, rich baroque colors, antique colors, but nothing too bright or too pastel.

*Do you have any relevant allergies? Some dogs/cats, smoke, heavy fragrances, and the norm - mildew (once got 40 lbs of mildewed and heavily mildew scented smelling llama - the seller had no idea how to store it..., had to throw it out as even being in the same room as the bagged stuff made my allergies go into hyperdrive) & dust

No comments: