Friday, May 4, 2007

Susan T's list

What do you use your fiber for? Felting, needle felting, knitting
or crocheting, weaving? I use my fiber for knitting and weaving.

* What kind of spinning do you do or what do you spin for? I tend to spin woolen for knitting at light dk to sock weight. I also enjoy spinning heavy lace weight. For my weaving I spin more worsted and higher twist singles.

* If you knit, weave, spin, crochet, needle felt, or do other fibery
pursuits, how long have you been doing those things? What level of
expertise are you at? I've been knitting for 34 years with a few years off now and again. I would say I'm an advanced intermediate knitter. I've only been weaving 2 years and am still very much a newbie. I've been spinning for 4 years almost everyday. It's how I unwind.

* What fibers have you worked with? I've spun as many wool breeds as I can get my hands on. I love spinning angora, silk, cashmere, alpaca, and mohair as well. I've got linen, cotton and hemp in my stash but haven't had the time yet for them.

* Which fibers, fiber blends, and types of fibers do you prefer? I love wool or wool blended with other natural fibers. Silk and cashmere and alpaca all come second. I don't have much interest in synthetics or the new manufactered fibers- at least not to date.

* Are you interested in working with raw fleece? If so, what type? I love working with raw fleece except for really fine wools like rambouillet or merino, cormo, etc. Those I prefer to have someone else do the work:) Right now I'm pregnant and won't work with any raw fleece till the baby comes in November.

* What fibery tools do you currently have (e.g., spinning wheels,
drop spindles, combs, cards, etc.)? I have a Majacraft Suzie, a Kromksi Symphony, two bossie spindles that are for silk along with a few others nameless spindles I hold onto to teach kids with. I also have hand cards, a drum carder and a dyeing station in my garage.

* Do you crave any tools, books, or videos? I would love hackles and of course another loom with more shafts than my 4 shaft.

* What fibers are you absolutely dying to get your hands on? Some really soft mohair- I got some doggy stuff a while back that I thought represented the breed for a long time. More silk. Cormo, Targhee, GCN, blue faced leicester, quality icelandic.

* Which fibers do you absolutely not want to work with? I can't think of anything except that merino isn't my favorite.

* Do you prefer natural color fibers or pre-dyed fibers? I love natural colors and tend to buy them or natural whites to do my own dyeing. However, sometimes I splurge and get predyed fibers just to see what other dyers are doing.

* What are your dye and color preferences? I love colors, especially blues and greens. Or beautiful strong reds. Only colors I stay away from personally are pastels-though some of my children look beautiful in them and I dye for them as well.

* Do you have any relevant allergies? I am very happy to not have any!

No comments: