Thursday, May 3, 2007

Lucy - Workbasket blog

* What do you use your fiber for? Felting, needle felting, knitting or crocheting, weaving?

I usually knit, although every once in a while I will do something else if the fiber calls for it.

* What kind of spinning do you do or what do you spin for?

I spin on both spindle and wheel. I've only made a few things with my own handspun so far.

* If you knit, weave, spin, crochet, needle felt, or do other fibery
pursuits, how long have you been doing those things? What level of
expertise are you at?

I've been knitting for at least 10 years, spinning for a few years also, but just recently got into it. Those are what I do most of the time. I've known how to crochet (and do so sometimes but not as often) for a long time. I haven't really done any weaving or needle felting, just a little bit of playing with both of those. I feel like with knitting and crocheting I'm pretty advanced, for spinning I'm intermediate.


* What fibers have you worked with?

wool (unknown breed - free), bamboo, alpaca, and the silk/merino blends.

* Which fibers, fiber blends, and types of fibers do you prefer?

I like anything really, I haven't developed too many preferences yet.

* Are you interested in working with raw fleece? If so, what type?

I have worked with raw fleece (that would be the free that I mentioned above). I have no problem processing my own fleece, and would love to work with either raw or processed

* What fibery tools do you currently have (e.g., spinning wheels,
drop spindles, combs, cards, etc.)?

I have access to a spinning wheel (not mine, but it's in my house), a spindolyn, and a couple drop spindles. I also have hand cards.

* Do you crave any tools, books, or videos?

I don't have any dvds of any kind of fiber instruction. shrug. I just got a bunch of different books, so I'm not craving anything currently.

* What fibers are you absolutely dying to get your hands on?

I have not done any silk, I'm planning to get some hankies at one of the fiber festivals this spring perhaps. I would also like to try some different breeds, as the only wool I've done is either unknown or commercial merino roving.

* Which fibers do you absolutely not want to work with?

anything that's common and easy to get online, as I can get those any time, nothing in particular though.

* Do you prefer natural color fibers or pre-dyed fibers?

either is fine. natural is good, especially if natural is not a white color. I've only done food dyes (and only feel comfortable playing with food dyes around my kids), and love color

* What are your dye and color preferences?

If it's something dyed I have no dye preference. Almost any colors work, I like most colors, and knit for a variety of people (my girls love pink and primary colors, i like jewel and earth tones, my husband likes others, so the colors would just go to different people)

* Any Allergies?

I am allergic to cats and dogs, I haven't had any problems at all with traditional fiber animals (sheep, alpaca, bunny, camel, etc)

Thank you!!
Lucy

No comments: